She took stock of where she was and decided comfort is as simple as creaming butter and whisking eggs, ordinary tasks that women have carried out for years. Satisfaction came as the room filled with the scent of vanilla. She was fine. They would be, too.
Healthy Banana Bread
It’s easy to make. My variation is below.
Prep Time: 10 mins. Cook Time: I hr*
Servings: 12 Calories 193
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
• 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
• 1 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 1/2 large or 5 medium)
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat or all purpose
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Lay a sheet of parchment paper across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. This makes its easy to lift the loaf from the pan.
- Melt butter in a large glass bowl in the microwave. Transfer butter to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the honey and mashed banana to the bowl and whisk to combine. Whisk in the eggs.
- Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix with a rubber spatula until combined. You want the flour incorporated into the batter, just, not too much. Be gentle with the spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake for 55-65* min.(Careful. Don’t over bake.) until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Tip: After 30 min. check on the loaf. Loosely cover the top of the loaf with foil (shiny side down) to prevent the top from browning.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 min. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Store banana bread at room temperature for up to 6 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cool completely before freezing.
I added blackberries (Step 5) to the flour. You could substitute chocolate chips, cranberries, or walnuts.